October 19, 2012

My first Rainbow Cake and etc.


Ya, pinggan hijau tu sumbing sket. Dah ambik gambar baru perasan. Kih kih :P

The recipe is based on the original Hummingbird Bakery's Vanilla cupcake, where the recipe said that it would yield 12 cupcakes, but in my case it gave me enough batter to make 2 layers (8x8 pan) of the rainbow cake-Yerp, I made a squarish rainbow cake. I had to re-double the recipe to get the cake done. 

I believed this is the best vanilla cake I've ever made, so far. The intensity of the vanilla is unbelievably amazing, texture-wise-moist and fluffy. Everything is perfect but I think the frosting could use a little less sugar and orange zest than the recipe calls for. The zesty taste is covering the whole vanilla taste, what's the point kan? 

It took me 2 days to finish the whole cake- I'm still in packing, labelling, and throwing mode, remember? Husband is currently away for another business trip and I'm doing all the packing. Yeay, I got to throw his old stuffs. Karang guni betul. And just an hour to assemble the layers and turn it into a beautiful rainbow cake. I can't believe my dream of making this cake have finally come true...

okay, I better get back to my boxes..they are screaming for me..argh.

PS: . We're going to be so busy next couple of month, with renovation works, blah2..so I think this would probably be my last post for this year. La Kitchen will be continued as usual on January. Apologize for that. No internet connection, while mobile blogging is so not me. Tak best. 

....and I'm taking order for this rainbow cake too.. sms/whatsapp me at 965-818-69 :D


The Rainbow Cake 
(based on HUmmingbird Bakery's Vanilla cupcake recipe via here)
19/6/2014: I have update the original recipe by doubling it. You don't have to double it coz below recipe is enough to make a 7" rainbow cake. This is the easiest cake ever!
All you need is:

5- 7"x7" baking pan (don't worry if yo only have two pans, you can bake the first two layer, then continue doing so until the batter finish)

2 cup all-purpose flour
11/2 cup sugar (I reduced it to 11/4cup)
3 tsp baking powder (I had to double the original recipe and end with that number)
1/4 pinch salt
6 tbsp butter
1 cup milk
2 egg
2 tsp vanilla extract

Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a mixing bowl and beat on slow speed until everything is combined and you have a crumb mixture with a sandy consistency. Gradually pour in half the milk and beat just until the milk is incorporated.

Whisk together the remaining milk, egg and vanilla. Pour into the flour mixture and beat until all ingredients are just incorporated. Beat for another 30 seconds until batter is smooth. Do not overmix.

Divide batter into 5 cups, or 7 (I've done it before), and put your desired food colouring in each bowl. 

Divide batter amongst 5 7"x7" baking pans and bake at 325F (163 C) for about 15 to 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out mostly clean. Cool before frosting.

Creamy Cream Cheese Frosting
I love this recipe for frosting. It never failed me. It's creamy, not too sweet and a bit salty :D 

250g salted butter -I used SCS
225g unsalted butter- "
1/4 fine sugar
2 blocks of Philadelphia Cream Cheese
1/4 confectioners sugar
1 tsp of milk

Beat butter and sugar until it doubles its size and creamy.
Cut the cheese into small cubes and add them one by one the butter mixture while beating them in medium speed.
Add the confectioners sugar and milk. Mix well. Taste. Add more confectioners sugar if you like it sweeter. :)

38 comments:

  1. aku mmg nak cuba recipe ni, tapi bab colour tu yg aku malas nak pi beli tu, haishhh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm a sucker for vanilla cake, so kena try this one :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. nak pinjam aku punya..punya susah nak abis.. :P 

    Aku ada recipe yg call for natural coloring..i.e. beet, carrot, bunga telang..x mampu nak try..kalau ko nak aku forward..  he he 

    ReplyDelete
  4. senang this recipe..no need to thaw..just amik butter kluar fridge and trus masuk mixer hihi..n telur pun tak pakai byk utk whole cake.. I really2 love this recipe dr segala sudut huhu 

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful... tapi hati tak cukup tabah nak buat kek ni...haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!!! Terlalu perfect! ... Love ur space ...Kemas... .. Happy to follow u!
    Glad if u do the same!

    Http:// www. Subhieskitchen@blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nyum nyum.. ur  name same like my sister lah .. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you.. done..i'm your new follower :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a stunning cake! I just got here from Tastespotting and now I know I'm going to spend the rest of my morning browsing through your archives. :) 

    ReplyDelete
  10. hah! bunga telang, mcmana rupa bunga telang aku pun taktau.. hahaha.. nanti aku dah settle down kat Malaysia, aku akan kumpul la colour2 ni, ko pakai brand apa eh colouring paste ni semua?

    ReplyDelete
  11. your photography and styling skills are amazing! just popped by via foodgawker and even tho im apprehensive about using so many colourings for rainbow cake, love your version cos it's so pretty! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. dah lama teringin nak try buat kek ni.. tp asyik tertangguh je.. Tengok resipi ni senanglah pulak... emm bila nak buat ni.. btw all gambar kat atas tu cantik sgt.. and kalau  u tak mention pinggan hijau tu sumbing.. i tak perasan pun.. hihi

    ReplyDelete
  13.  awesomeness! been thinking of making one for raya for my girls...ahh...need to find time!! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mim, sorry lambat reply..aku bizi packing barang..ko packing barang lom? aku pakai campur2..ada wilton, ada redman.paling byk tu jenama local rose brand tu.. hihi .mana yg ada cap halal or list of ingredient dia halal aku beli.. coloring paste ni byk yg x halal.. aku kekadang ragu2 nak beli brand famous amos sbb takut tak halal..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gawd.. I hope it didn't give you eyesores  :P I have a love/hate relationship with my archives.. it's kindda embarrassing, the write-ups and the oh so ugly pixs but it also reminds me of my humble beginning. Thank you for stopping by ;) 

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yerp, had to agree with you..the colorings scared me much. My first intention was to make a pastel colored rainbow cake, so I could only use one or two drops of artificial coloring. Unfortunately, it didn;t happened as I expected. The color was so dull, instead of pastel looking. I suggest you use coloring paste so you don't have to use much to make the rainbows pop. 

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hihi.. I kena mention jugak sbb nanti ada yg berkata2 hihi.. Try la buat..mmg senang.. as I mentioned earlier, you dont have to thaw the butter.. so prep time sekejap je.. :D 

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Iva, 

    I buat ni pun makan 2 hari.. I suggest you buat time weekend..and indulge it for the whole weekdays hihi cake ni besar sgt2. :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi there! been ages since I visited blogworld! Your rainbow cake looked smashing as usual! Last 2 weeks I did one too, but the malas way, only 3 layer and used makcik Betty cake mix. Hehehe, boleh la nak makan..
    Happy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm confused at to how you colored each layer differently. I see no instructions for doing this in the cake recipe above.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Salam. The resepi above can make how many layers? Re-double means we make satu lagi bancuhan resepi di atas? (I mean 2 bancuhan la ye?)
    Tq

    ReplyDelete
  22. It look tasty. Is there a flavour for each coulour of the rainbow cake or not?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks almost too pretty to eat...I said almost :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have updated the recipe. Sorry for taking such a long time to do this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have updated the recipe. You no longer have to double the recipe. It's the easiest rainbow cake ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. You can always add flavor to each layer. I would skip the vanilla extract if I do this.

    ReplyDelete
  27. this is so cute!


    styleandchocolates.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I tried to make this cake for my daughters birthday party. Despite the recipe stating it was enough for all 5 layers (even 7) without doubling, the layers were way too thin. Like pancakes. I had to throw it all out and start from scratch with a new recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was able to get 3 layers out of one recipe. I did this twice for a 6 layer cake and it came out nicely. I used 1.5 cups of batter in my 10" round pans. You have to make sure to only use 1.25 cups sugar or else it's too much and super gooey.

    ReplyDelete