April 4, 2014

Three-Coloured Shepherd's Pie

I have been on a 'diet' since last November and so far I have managed to shed few kilos. Though keeping it on track seems difficult sometimes. But the good thing is that, with all these dieting routine, it somehow has managed to change my eating style or should I say our eating style into a healthy one. I'm more selective nowadays in terms of the food I put in each mouth in this house, and I'm glad to say that we eat more vegetables and fruits in the last few months compared to last time. And I even read labels!

Anyway, I pulled this recipe from a quaint 'Little Paris Kitchen' book by Rachel Khoo which packed with Parisian recipes made easy, simple approach yet truly yay(!) results. I picked this particular one because I love how beautiful the pie looks from the book. The top part is made out of three different toppings, mashed pumpkin, mashed potato and parsley flavoured-mashed potato-which means colours! I love colours in my food.

Since I love how Marco did with his version of Shepherd pie, so I decided to combine these two recipes into one. Here's my version of Three-coloured Shepherd's Pie. 

Three-coloured Shepherd's Pie 


Ingredients

The beef filling, recipe based on Marco Pierre White's. 
1tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
500g minced lamb- I used beef
10g plain flour
1tbsp Worcestershire sauce- I subs it with oyster sauce.
1tbsp tomato puree- I subs it with cherry tomatoes-blend
200ml beef stock
300ml water (use more or less)
1 bay leaf
1 large carrot, peeled, chopped and boiled until just tender

The topping, recipe based on Rachel Khoo's.
500g pumpkin, peeled and cut into chunks
olive oil
500g floury potatoes- I used Russets
1/2 bunch of parsley
8 tbsp milk
1 tbsp butter
white pepper
salt

Thing you'll need:
A pie dish
Food bags

Way to do it
Pre-heat the oven to 200 deg C.

Beef filling (Here's is a demo)
Fry off the garlic and onions in the oil until translucent and add the meat and season. Stir in the tomato puree, bay leaf and seasoning and add the beef/vegetable stock then simmer for 30 minutes. 

Topping
Toss the pumpkin chunks into baking tray and drizzling with olive oil. Roast for 20 mins or until tender. I use forks to mashed it and it created "not-so-smooth paste". The book clearly ask for a blender, guess I've skipped that part. Spoon into a piping bag, I used ziplock bag, and put aside.

Cook the potato in large pot for 15-20 mins. with blender, whizz the parsley including the stalk with 3 tablespoon of olive oil until smooth. Once the potatoes are cooked, drain and mash with milk, and butter (I add a knob of cream cheese). Season with salt and white pepper. Split into two equal portions. Mix one portion with the parsley paste and spoon each of them into ziplock.

Assembly
Pour the hot meat sauce into an oven proof dish and top with carrots cuts, or any other preferred vegetables i.e peas and let it chill a little bit. 
Pipe lines of the different topping on to it. 
Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbling and golden.
Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment