September 27, 2011

Tuesday- Meatballs Spaghetti


As you guys can see now, I've changed my blog layout.. again.. :D Mind you, this is just a temporary change.. I'm in the mid of tweaking some codes and scripts and hopefully everything will come up as planned.. Ameen. 

And as for the meatballs spaghetti, that's our dinner for tonight. I used a Prego canned sauce instead of making one, oh please don't judge. It's O-K to cheat..sometimes.. I said sometimes.. The meatballs are homemade tho.. It's from Ramsay's World Kitchen book. I gave a so-so review about it last time (okay, who am I kidding to gave Ramsay with such rating..). But this time, I've added a lil bit more of garlic (powder) and instead of parsley, I've substituted it with some Italian herbs, and it tastes fine now, more than fine. Should I claim the recipe as mine now? 



Meatballs in Tomato Sauce 
(as printed in Ramsay's World Kitchen)
(Serves 4-5)

500g good-quality minced beef 
1 onion, peeled and very finely chopped 
1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped 
50g white breadcrumbs 
25g manchego (or cheddar), grated 
2 tbs chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus extra to finish 
sea salt and black pepper 
1 large egg, lightly beaten 
2 tbs olive oil

For the tomato sauce:

2 tbs olive oil 
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped 
1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped 
120ml dry white wine 
2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 
100ml water 
1-2 tbs caster sugar 
sea salt and black pepper

To make the meatballs, mix the minced beef, onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, cheese and parsley together in a large bowl until combined. Season well and add the beaten egg to bind, mixing with your hands. Break off a small piece of the mixture, shape into a ball and fry in an oiled pan until cooked, then taste for seasoning. Adjust the seasoning of the uncooked mixture as necessary. With damp hands, shape the mixture into about 16 meatballs, trying not to press them too tightly. Place on a large plate, cover with clingfilm and chill for at least 30 minutes to allow them to firm up.

Meanwhile, make the sauce. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the onion and garlic and fry gently until lightly golden. Increase the heat slightly and pour in the wine. Let it bubble until reduced by half, then stir in the chopped tomatoes, water and sugar. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the tomatoes are soft, then remove the pan from the heat.

To cook the meatballs, heat the olive oil in a large, wide pan. Add the chilled meatballs and fry for 5 minutes, turning frequently, until browned all over. Pour the tomato sauce over them and simmer for a further 10-15 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked through.

Divide the meatballs and tomato sauce among warm bowls and sprinkle with chopped parsley to serve.

13 comments:

  1. mmmm...nice! The spaghetti n meatballs, the new layout...the background.

    Oh, I just miss you! And I miss blogging. :'(

    ReplyDelete
  2. kak Lily,

    I haven't post my entry and yet I rcvd your comment..weird..he he

    How are u btw? Are you taking a break from blogging too? I miss you tuu tau..

    ReplyDelete
  3. gempak ah blog ko!!!

    syabas mere bete!! vavavava!

    ReplyDelete
  4. vavava..haha

    thanks Mim..org takde identity, asik tukar style je ;p

    ReplyDelete
  5. yg dulu punya layout pun cantik, but this one is even better!

    and gambar2 yg cantik, as always :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks yummy.. can I have some. hiks

    ReplyDelete
  7. kak RC.. tulisan susah nk baca.. eh, ke tun je yg rabun2 ayam? hihi.. spagetti looks yummy tho! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tunggu I bukak kedai dulu eh angerik he he in my dream ;p

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really tun? I'll try to switch the font color later.. bajet sweet la pki current color he he

    ReplyDelete
  10. drool...good job with the layout

    ReplyDelete
  11. Suka the old layout but this also suka. hehehe.. bdw, ur spaghetti meetballs sangat mencabar iman... RC, me love2 how u amik gambar...

    ReplyDelete